Updated: May 20
“Filming is a chance to live many lifetimes" described Robert Altman and many Minarets students are actively involved in producing their own films. In fact, Minarets Media participates in the annual SlickRock Film Festival, which features student films from across seven counties in California. This year the event was held on May 11th, 2018 and Minarets Media had a total of nine student videos make the final five in their respective categories:
1. Don't Drink and Drive by Christian Stover, Jessiah Mosley, Colby Jobinger, Adrian Mitchell
2. Think Before you Drink by Michelle Agundez & Jordan Cabada
3. Keep Going by Jared Coppola, Kira Huff
4. Wheels by Cole Shattuck, Keagen Mackey, Connor Heidebrecht,Ben Smith, Evan Clinghan
5. Anti-Bullying PSA by Jake Dowell, Haylee Crowe, Izabella Parada-Dinolfo
6. School Stop. Talk. Report. Alissa Pitman by Alissa Pitman
7. Don't Let Someones Candle Burn Out by Ally Martin
8. Suicide Prevention by Grace Hansen, Kailey Shattuck, Eli Estrada, Matthew Sheller
9. Tobacco PSA by Deveon Thao
Minarets Media took a busload of students, including those from Spring Valley Elementary School, to attend the event. Students were picked up by the bus and brought to Visalia, California where they enjoyed watching films by students across seven counties in California while also getting the opportunity to walk the red carpet.
Minarets student definitely showed school pride stepping out onto that red carpet. Sophomore Chloe Noland described, “It felt so awesome to see everyone smiling and having a great time together while feeling the energy and excitement off of my friends and classmates!"
Inside the Fox theatre, students took their seats followed by their family, friends, and fellow classmate to watch final five films be shown and winners to be announced. In the end, Minarets brought home a SlickRock for the Anti-Bullying PSA created by Haylee Crowe, Jake Dowell, Izabella Parada-Dinolfo:
It was an extremely fun night spent with people who share the same passions and expressed themselves through amazing films. Shout out to the fantastic student that made final five and premiere cut this year and to all the student who submitted films!!
Let’s bring home some more next year!! Go big, Go pro, Go now, Go Mustangs!